Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Day Well Spent

It's a day well spent when you play with both picture frames and power tools....

Today marks the beginning of the County Fair. This year I actually decide to enter some photos in the exhibition, and then super-size that idea to having a booth. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this, so please send positive thoughts (profitable ones too ;-) and any useful suggestions! And if you're in the area, come join the hilarity.

Life being as it is (and as long-distance as it's been) I'm shooting this baby from the hip, in the 11th hour. I've mapped out the framework in my mind, we'll let the details evolve with a life of their own. It's much more interesting that way.

And life is what it's all about. When I was initially weighing the pros and cons I was clear I wanted to avoid the traditional "art show" business model both now and in the future. What lights me up about photography is reflecting the surprise, the emotion, the sheer motion of life itself: stories, relationships, beauty, adventure, awe, miracles. Or, to paraphrase Anonymous in my header,
"celebrating without cease this lively earth."

Even today, life is happening. I pick up my prints and swing by Tink's for her input on the final entries. Tink, Mouse, Grandma and I are soon working like a well-oiled machine and get the prints chosen, framed, wired, and deliver with two whole minutes to spare before the deadline. We then discover there was a typo in the email, and instead of booth space being open for setup by tomorrow at 1, they must be complete by then.

The Adventure accelerates, with laughter and lumberjack songs and a limbo contest in the aisle of Home Depot. I can't wait to see where it leads.

Mouse is our first prize winner, beating out the competition (all adults--her Uberlove Applesause Praline Cake was so amazing the judges couldn't believe it was made by an 11-year old) to clinch second place.

WAY TO GO, MOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And thanks for sharing the leftovers ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I have a feeling it's going to be a great week for you. Is Gypsy Photography sponsoring an entry in the crash up derby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who do ya think is gonna be driving the winning car! ;-)

    Dreaming of next year...

    ReplyDelete