Thursday, March 29, 2007

Lent

Its been an amazing Lent, and I'm looking forward to the grand finale throughout this upcoming week as we barrel down on Easter. I get confused by friends' comments suggesting it's a hardship, a self-punishment, a penance--as if Jesus' radical offensive weren't enough to clear me but somehow my works are?!! (thanks again, with all my heart and being, Jesus!)

Far from it! It's a joy, a delight, a season of constant surprise as God answers my measly token sacrifice with blessings and revelations "pressed down, shaken together, and running over."

To plus it, about 3 weeks ago I was soaking in the tub and God threw out this offer: "If you want to supersize Lent, go through every door Cornerstone [my church] opens before you." Now, God of course has even a bigger vision and a wilder imagination than I do. Figuring something really juicy was in store, I leapt at the opportunity and have been making the 2 hour round trip to Cornerstone and MIHOP anywhere between 2 and 4 times a week. The results are mind-blowing.

But as I'm writing, I'm slowly recognizing the added gauntlets He's thrown down alongside time, gas money, service, and what I originally gave up.

Accelerated obedience. OUCH! But like ripping off a band-aid, it only hurts for a second. Accelerated communication: with Him, its a piece of cake, with other people, well, we're back to ripping off that band-aid. Sacrificing what I think should be The Plan--for a self-employed, infinitely-interested, fully-extended overachiever this feels like severing a limb, forget about the stinkin' band-aid!

Hmmmm. How'd He sneak all that extra stuff in? (I know, I know, He's GOD!) No matter, point is, when God makes you an offer you can't refuse, take Him up on it with alacrity. What He's asking you to lay down, no matter how vital it seems in the moment, you really don't need anyway. The return on your investment is out of this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment