Saturday, February 24, 2007

Yo Quiero Pachelbel

"I never learned Chopsticks," Jordan confides. Aghast, I slide onto the piano bench next to her. Jordan is a quick study--and has had years of piano lesson. In no time she is belting out the bottom part for Chopticks, while I'm rockin' the top part and playing with the controls of the keyboard to mix up the sounds. We roll into Heart and Soul. Jordan pauses and my fingers launch into a song I recognize from long-forgotten piano lessons. I watch in astonishment as my fingers skim the keys and actually make beautiful music, completely independent of conscious thought. Muscle memory is an amazing thing!

Jordan plays a beautiful Pachelbel Canon. I sway in appreciative admiration and contribute "shave and a haircut, two bits!"

Rob Paravonian has a different take...

No comments:

Post a Comment