Monday, October 1, 2007

Life: A Cost-Benefit Analysis

Home again. Great to be back on a horse after spending the better part of the last four days in a car. Amazing trip it was, despite the circumstances that threatened to keep me home and the last minute shuffling that took place when I was able to leave, albeit a day later than intended.

Home again. Muscles screaming from sitting still hour after hour are stretched into relief. As I ride out towards the mown corner of the field, I go through some of the mounted exercises that make my clients cry and curse, and cause one student to dub me her "Evil Master." That followed up by teaching Bogie, the horse, lateral work (moving sideways and forwards simultaneously, a great strengthening and stretching exercise) and riding out a pretty harmless bucking fit alternately torture and massage muscles back to life.

After some intense training, I take Bogie for a breather around the field to let him catch his breath and his thoughts. I ponder thoughts of my own. I know what I need to do to keep my body at the top of its game. I know to eat right, take my vitamins, and drink waaaay more water in the day than I think I need. I know the stretches the chiropractor promises will keep me out of his office, and I know to floss at least once a day after I brush. And that whole 8 hours of sleep a night concept? Sounds divine!

So what of reality? What about those vitamins that clattered in my backpack, untouched throughout my journey? What of that flossing and those stretches, that take only a few minutes of applied intentionality but yield priceless returns? What good is that knowledge when it festers in forgotten brain-space?

It takes 21 days to form a new habit. Actions spring from habits, lives are shaped through actions. We don't need New Year's to commit to transmuting old intentions into new habits.

A few minutes of remembering for 21 days. The bargain of the year for eternal youth--or at least vibrant living.

1 comment:

  1. Remembering the action is good, over coming the desire to put off until tomorrow is even better.

    I'm gonna' go take my vitamins and drink some water now.

    ReplyDelete